So you’ve purchased a piece of Burnt Soul Lycra joy, you love it and you’ve been enjoying it to the max, but now it’s time to wash it and you don’t want to just shove it in your dirty laundry because you’re not sure how to clean it without damaging it. We don’t want you to either! Which is why we’ve put together some handy tips for caring for your Lycra.
Lycra is a marvellous material. It’s lightweight, highly elastic, strong, durable and non-absorbent to water and oils, great for creating banging outfits, not so great when you want to wash it or remove a stain. Follow these guidelines and you can keep you Burnt Soul looking lovelier for longer…
- Do not use hot water – Always wash your Lycra outfit in cool or tepid water.
- Hand wash – It reduces excessive ringing or stretching that will miss-shape your outfit
- Wash it in a mesh laundry bag or pillow case – If you absolutely can’t be bothered to hand wash do it on a cool cycle, or hand wash cycle (if you have one). We’d always go for the hand wash option first though.
- Never use chlorine bleach – It will destroy the fibres of your outfit.
- To remove stains- Try to tackle the stain straight away, so quickly soak the stain in cold or tepid water, do not use hot water as this can set the stain. Apply a small amount of a mild liquid detergent to the stain and gently rub the detergent into the stain. Do not scrub! Once you’ve done this, wash as normal with our guidelines from above.
- Never machine dry – Once you’ve washed your Lycra, drip dry it away from direct heat and sunlight.
- Never iron- You won’t need to anyway, bonus time saver! The heat from the iron will melt the Lycra so avoid this faux-pas.
- To remove strong smells – Come on, it might happen from all the vigorous dancing these outfits inspire! Fill a bucket or sink with cold water and add one cup of baking soda and soak your Lycra outfit overnight. Then drip dry away from direct heat and sunlight.
- When storing your Lycra it’s always best to hang where possible, ESPECIALLY if you have liquid foil panels on your piece. If packed tight in a draw the foil is likely to start welding together and when you pull it out next it won’t have the same shine as before.
- We love using glittery, shiny and holographic fabrics… as much as I’m sure you love wearing them! They do tend to need a little more attention than your average pair of leggings though. Whilst we always buy the highest quality of sparkles and foils we can find, if they are being worn and washed as an every day item of clothing then the foils may dull. If you’re looking for longevity or to use for fitness then it’s best to go for catsuits without liquid foil paneling.
- keep oily liquids away from the reflective panels. The reflective panels are made by coating the lycra in minuscule glass beads. this makes it hard to get out oily substances once on the fabric. The good news is that it will have no effect on the reflective glow it gives out so you can continue shine bright where ever you go!
We hope that you find these tips useful and that your Burnt Soul outfit brings you ultimate joy for many occasions to come. If you’ve got some care tips you want to share, please comment below or come and find us on Facebook or Instagram and happy wearing!